Thursday, June 7, 2007

Asses on Bangalore Roads

There was a time when asses were considered to be a dumb creature. They were never considered fast or reliable. Horses enjoyed all the privileges of being favorite. If I remember my grand-ma's stories, asses were only used as a goods carrier across the ponds. But Grand ma has gone. And gone are the dumb asses. This is the era of cool and smart asses. Not to mention, modern asses are rich enough to afford big big cars. If you do not trust my words, try stepping out of your house after 10 pm. You can spot them on almost any road. Easy identity - They will be driving with high beams. They will honk all the time, validating the fact they are not dumb any more. Smart people are not always rich. It takes more than the plain smartness (probably hard work, good luck and may be much more) for a smart human to become rich. So is true with asses. There are poor (but smart) asses, who really can not afford buying a car. But nothing can beat their determination to put up the smartness-show. Most of them have taken cab-driving jobs on call-center vehicles. Their ass-power combined with the cab's horse-power can probably beat the smartest horse on earth.
In the not-so-lucky category of asses, there is another distinct breed, which is known as pedestrian-asses. You can see them blocking half the roads (on a red pedestrian signal) in effort to cross the road. This causes some trivial troubles to the traffic (which already suffers because of extra-ordinary width of city roads). But I believe that standing in middle of the road, amidst fast moving traffic, is a great show of courage by asses. I really admire it. By the way, today I met two most courageous asses of my life time. I was returning back home, late in the night, and I saw them standing in middle of the road, on IndiraNagar fly-over. Initially I had some trouble recognizing them and I mistook them as human beings (Wish asses had horns). But later I remembered that humans are not allowed to walk on fly-overs.
....
Have you ever met any smarter asses? If so, please post your experience on this blog.
....
I have posted this blog, with a hope that one day the smart-ass community will read my blog and realize that how their presence in a civilized society is being appreciated. It might also give me some political mileage, as asses have a great chance of coming to power in Indian Democracy.

No comments: